Sunday, February 28, 2010

Allergy Free Olympic Hockey Game Menu

Allergy free cooking for this afternoon has begun with Adobo Marinade. As I've said before, Mexican cooking (without seeds, peanuts and tree nuts) lends itself brilliantly to the allergy-free lifestyle. With its emphasis on big flavor, simple ingredients and fresh vegetables, it is not only delicious, but has tons of antioxidants.  (I'm sounding like an advertisement now...I'll stop!)  I made enough of the marinade so that I'll have some leftover to put in the fridge for next time - or perhaps our daughter would like to try some on her chicken this evening. I know you'd think she'd love it, but just remember, because one has allergies doesn't mean they're not picky!  This is a child whose food cannot touch and who likes to eat in courses.  More on that later.

Today's Olympic Hockey viewing menu:

Marinated Flank Steak (child allergic to beef - note: make chicken first)
Chicken Adobo (using the same marinade for the flank steak)
Chipotle Salsa
Roasted Tomato Salsa
Mango Salad
Tortillas (corn of course)
Roasted Vidalia Onions
Rice
Jalapeno pickles (made last weekend without mustard!)

All recipes are free of wheat, milk, eggs, gluten, soy, nuts, tree nuts, seeds, and more.  Our most difficult allergy is now Mustard as it means I must make my own pickled Jalapenos.  But it's worth it - they're delicious!  The only thing on this "allergy free" menu that our allergic kid can't have is the steak - so I'll make that up separately and most probably after I make up the chicken.  And the other good news is that with the exception of the salsa (already made by my husband) almost everything else only requires either roasting, chopping or tossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment